I offer you lean streets,
	我给你瘦落的街道,
	desperate sunsets,
	绝望的落日,
	the moon of the jagged suburbs.
	荒郊的月亮,
	I offer you the bitterness of a man who has looked long and long at the lonely moon.
	我给你一个久久地望着孤月的人的悲哀。
	I offer you my ancestors, my dead men,
	我给你我已死去的祖辈,
	the ghosts that living men have honoured in marble:
	后人们用大理石祭奠的先魂,
	my father's father killed in the frontier of Buenos Aires,
	我父亲的父亲阵亡于布宜诺斯艾利斯的边境,
	two bullets through his lungs,
	两颗子弹射穿了他的胸膛,
	bearded and dead,
	死的时候蓄着胡子,
	wrapped by his soldiers in the hide of a cow;
	尸体被士兵们用牛皮裹起。
	my mother's grandfather
	我母亲的祖父,
	just twenty-four
	那年才二十四岁,
	heading a charge of three hundred men in Peru,
	在秘鲁率领三百人冲锋,
	now ghosts on vanished horses.
	如今都成了消失的马背上的亡魂。
	I offer you whatever insight my books may hold.
	我给你我的书中所能蕴含的一切悟力,
	whatever manliness or humour my life.
	以及我生活中所能有的男子气概和幽默,
	I offer you the loyalty of a man who has never been loyal.
	我给你一个从未有过信仰的人的忠诚。
	I offer you that kernel of myself that I have saved somehow -the central heart
	我给你我设法保全的我自己的核心,
	that deals not in words, traffics not with dreams
	不营字造句,不和梦交易,
	and is untouched by time, by joy, by adversities.
	不被时间、欢乐和逆境触动的核心。
	I offer you the memory of a yellow rose seen at sunset, years before you were born.
	我给你早在你出生前多年的一个傍晚看到的一朵黄玫瑰的记忆。
	I offer you explanationsof yourself,
	我给你关于你生命的诠释,
	theories about yourself,
	关于你自己的理论,
	authentic and surprising news of yourself.
	你的真实而惊人的存在。
	I can give you my loneliness,
	我给你我的寂寞,
	my darkness,
	我的黑暗,
	the hunger of my heart;
	我心的饥渴,
	I am trying to bribe you with uncertainty, with danger, with defeat.
	我试图用困惑、危险、失败来打动你。
——博尔赫斯 《我用什么才能留住你》
 
